This is just a little personal post about me and a 'journey' I've been on for a little over a year, and my thoughts about it... something I can look back on in times to come.
In September 2009, this was me...
I had been struggling with my weight for a while... I had developed a wrong attitude to food... and I knew I needed to tackle it... 60lb heavier than a healthy weight for my height!
I embarked on trying to lose weight. Why? Well, I really was not happy the way I was. Thank you if you're looking at the above photo and saying "but you looked lovely as you were!", BUT it doesn't really matter what other people think as it's ME in that skin! I mostly felt that I was not honouring the Lord in my eating, but I was also very unhealthy and unfit and that's not good when you've 2 young kids to look after.
This is me 9 months later... already looking better, and feeling so much happier and healthier.
It's been a long and slow 'journey' for me, but with perseverance and the Lord's help, I finally reached my goal just before Christmas 2010. What a wonderful feeling!
This is me (and the kids!) at Christmas. Wow, I feel like a different person! I'm proud of my achievement, but really I should never have been that overweight in the first place. I have no plans to 'find' the pounds I have 'lost'.
Please don't say "you're fading away" or "you're looking awful skinny"! I can assure you that I am NOT fading away - there is still plenty of me to go around and I have NO plans to fade away! And I am FAR from skinny - I am a typical English Pear-shape! I am a sensible weight, and toward the top-end of the healthy BMI range for my height. Most of the people I know are far thinner than me, and no one ever tells them they are fading away or too skinny, so why the need to make these comments to me?! I am happy at the weight I am at now. My Wii Fit tells me I should be another 14lb lighter in order to be a healthy weight - I think it's having a laugh! Please try and be happy for me! Compliments are so much nicer than criticism! But, I did this for the Lord, myself and indirectly my kids, so it generally doesn't matter what others think!


3 comments:
I think you look amazing! Well done, you! I'm so happy for you to be so much more healthy - fit and making good choices, obviously. Your hard work has paid off! Thank you for sharing this personal bit of your life - it's inspiring for the rest of us!
Well done Esther - I think you look fantastic! I wish I had your willpower though! Tim has told me to stop "dieting" cos he can see I am just getting stressed over it and he "loves me just the way I am" but like you say it's ME in the skin and I need to do soomething. Maybe 2011 will be the year I overcome my appalling eating habits - I look to you as my inspiration :-) Thanks for posting. Hazel xx
Erin - thanks! YOU're inspiring in your running! - hope you are still enjoying it and entering more races! Ex
Hazel - thanks too! Didn't know you popped in here for a look! Willpower... well let's just say I had MANY difficult moments (a whole month for eg going up half lb, down half lb, up again, down again!)- that's why it took me 15mnths! I find it hard when there are not instant results (I'm a product of our generation!). But I knew I had to hang in there and keep plodding on. I did go to WW (thanks to my lovely and generous dad) to give me a bit of a spur on, and then just learning better habits (ie not to finish off the kids leftovers - a product of my upbringing to finish EVERYthing on my plate and not waste anything!). Mostly I was emotional eating, so had to get my head around that. It's extra hard when someone close to you says you're ok as you are - the affirmation is wonderful, but not always helpful! Hope you get on ok. Ex
Post a Comment