Saturday, February 20, 2010

Weekly round-up

A tale of our going's on... we haven't actually been out much, partly because of the weather, partly because I've made the kids do a small amount of "school" this week... ok, I wasn't totally mean, I did let them off the 3 Rs...

 ... though you'd never guess it from this image... but Bubs *voluntairily* did this writing! She has decided she wants to know how to write cursive, so I printed her off some worksheets to copy from... I really did NOT expect her to dig it out this week... wonders will never cease!

... we much enjoyed our pancakes on Tuesday... always a nice treat here... and then to the start of Lent and our Lent Jar (which seems to have been nick-named the 'Lentil Jar' for some odd reason!) with an 'activity' to fish out each day - something to focus us on the meaning of Easter...
... and my reading pile...

... we've only managed one actual half-term activity this week (which is quite good going for us, as we tend to avoid the crowds and shy away from doing anything in the school holidays!)... the trail at the Birds of Prey centre in Webbs garden centre on the Birmingham Road... it was wet... but not *too* wet when we started out... but when we went back later to watch the birds flying it was very wet and cold too... so we went back to my mum and dad's house to watch a film and get cosy...

... cake making is always a good way to pass some time!... and licking the bowl is always the best part of it!...

... another trip to Occupational Therapy for Spike brought us a trial run of a 'slope' thing for the table to prop his school work on, and a wedge-shaped, air-filled seat cushion to... I'm not entirely sure what that's for! I think it helps the posture a bit, but because it makes him want to move around on it it will hopefully help him feel less lethargic when he's doing his work!... although all these assessments that Spike has been through have been very tedious for him, I think this OT assessment has brought the most practical help for us...

... some slushy snow falling... it settled on the grass mostly... definitely not the 4 inch predicted though!

... a rare night out took me and my 2 friends to a very nice chinese restaurant in Bewdley... it was a lovely treat...
... and Bubs insisted on trying to eat her breakfast with the chopsticks I brought home!...

... finally a lovely day appeared, and we headed off early to Trimpley Reservoir to have a wee walk, feed the ducks, and see the odd train or two..

... I've never much appreciated winter... the trees look so very barren and stark... and everything around about looks so open and bare and gloomy... yet, with dad's help, I am finally starting to see that there *is* a beauty in the winter scenery... you see the actual shape of the trees while they are not hidden beneath their leaves, and the openness of places not shrouded in foilage affords some magnificant views...

... tending to the birds, making sure they have enough to eat... and, yes, Spike really *is* wearing shorts in weather that is little above freezing!

No comments: