Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Christian Institue Meeting

I went to a meeting with the Christian Institute the other night, hosted at our church. It was very interesting and particularly challenging! We were encouraged to not sit around mute, lulled into a sense of complacency by today's society or self-moderated by our fear that someone might take offence to something we say about our normal everyday life as a Christian. We were encouraged to speak up, that consciences need pricked, so that we can be the 'salt' to this world and help prevent the decay that is taking place here. And, as you wouldn't put a lamp under a bowl, so we shouldn't hide ourselves away. Sadly, we have become numbed by society and used to what is going on... the analogy given was that of being in the dark after a power cut... initially there is a feeling of startlement as we can't see anything, but gradually our eyes become accustomed to the dark and we are still able to get around.

I am, hands in the air, shamefully, one of those who lives in the hope that no one will ask me why I do things the way I do... one who likes to think that 'actions speak louder than words' - and I'm sure in many ways they do speak louder than MY words... I'm a hopeless orator and I can't ever seem to find the right words to say *at the time* - after the event, yes, I'll have it then; in written form, yes ok on that count too... but I should speak out too... give an answer for they way I am, not be ashamed to stand up and be counted. I had the perfect opportunity at the Home Ed group this week... "so, why do you home school?" I was asked (you need to understand that having just moved we are in the process of meeting new Home Ed families, so this question is bound to crop up just now). "ooo, er... hmmm... well... lots of reasons I suppose... the schools..." bla, bla, bla... you get the picture! WHY did I not say that I really believed the Lord had led me to it too? What's wrong with saying that? I'm sure some people have more ludicrous answers to the same question that no one would blink an eye at! "For I am not ashamed of the Gospel..." wrote Paul in Romans 1v16 and he had taken a lot of flack for sharing this Gospel, yet he still proceeded with boldness. We have been learning this verse... "why would anyone be ashamed of the Gospel?" asked Bubbles when we first heard this verse... yes, why indeed should we/I be ashamed? Fear? I definitely need to keep my eyes fixed more firmly on the Lord and try to grab any opportunity placed before me to speak up... maybe it could be the only opportunity that someone has to hear the Gospel... and right now, we do actually have the 'religious liberty' in this country to share our beliefs.

No comments: