Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Outdoor Hour #2


So, this is our second challenge. This week we are challenged to take time to be silent on a nature walk, and to use our senses more to hear, see and feel things around us. I thought this would work quite well... but we had, ooo, about.... 5 mins of silence max! Trouble is, I think it was the snow... to me - bliss, joy, and begging to be enjoyed in silence! The snow seems to spread a blanket of inviting quietness for me... for the kids - well, what can I say! Snow = squeels, laughter, babbling chatter, running, walking, silliness... anything BUT silence really! Ah well! I was just pleased that they weren't moaning too much about being out!


After our walk, we had to brainstorm some words to describe the following things (as you'll notice, they're not particularly 'naturey'!!):

1. One word to describe something they heard : bird, car, plane, crunch, giggle, rustle, 'achoo', sniff
2. Two words for something they saw : slow car, high plane, children screeching, tweeting birds, white snow, icy snow, play-park (!)
3. Three words for something they felt : white crunchy snow, wet cold hands, freezing cold cheeks, cold tingling toes, soft wet snow, lets go home (!)




1 comment:

Barb said...

Your entry made me smile. :)

Your follow up word were great and I think they did a great job of using their senses.

I have to say though that my favorite part about snow is that time right after it stops and you go outside and everything is covered in a thick blanket of white. The quietness of the outdoors at that moment is such a wonderful soul-filling experience.

Thank you for sharing your entry and making me smile this morning.

Barb-Harmony Art Mom