Saturday, December 27, 2008

Snapshot of our week

Monday was quite an emotionally charged day, dealing with my Solicitor who said to me something along the lines of "if only all my clients were as pro-active as you, things would get done a lot quicker"! If I had known he expected me to be 'pro-active', then I would have been so much sooner... but I just thought that was the job of the Solicitor! Duh! O well, you live and learn! In sheer desperation, I did something totally out of character, and found out where the mother of the buyers lived and went round to see her! Amazingly, the buyer was there too, and so I was able to share my sorry tale... and they came round later in the evening to let me know how things were progressing - wow, God's so gracious to me and my poor fretting soul.

After an unsuccessful attempt to go swimming on Monday (found out the pool was closed due to maintenance) we finally made it on Tuesday 9am. It was a fun time, and we stayed in for about an hour, which is quite amazing... Spike normally wants out sooner. We then went for a late breakfast/early lunch at Ikea, which was great too! We haven't been to Ikea for a while, so it was good... we shall miss not having it so close! The best part of Tuesday? - getting a call from my Solicitor (yes, he actually called me!) to say that the Missives had been concluded on the house! Yay! Thank you Lord.... now, hopefully he's remembered to put the papers for signing in the post before breaking for the hols...

Wednesday we spent some family time out - we went for a KFC all together (makes a nice change to McDonalds!). Then we had a brief trip to Ocean Terminal to the Build-a-bear shop, where the kids got a new outfit each for their teddys. Finally, we went to Portobello. It worked out quite nicely - I hadn't wanted to go out at all really, knowing the roads would be busy and people everywhere, but we had a nice wee walk along the prom at Portobello which kind of redeemed things! The kids had good fun in the amusement arcade... Spike enjoyed a go on the 'racing cars' and Bubbles enjoyed the penny machines (where she gained a couple of key-rings as prizes). I'm not convinced in my mind as to whether we should really, as Christians, go into these places... but the kids know they have a definite limit to the amount of money that can be spent and then it's gone. Then the kids had ice-cream! Imagine that... walking down the prom on 24th December eating ice-cream!

Bubbles and I went out to a Christingle service at St John's & King's Park Church in Dalkeith Christmas Eve. I wanted to go to a Church service to remind us of the real reason for the season... our own Church not having a Christmas day service due to meeting in a leisure centre. I had wanted to go to the Rosewell parish Church, but couldn't find details of their Christmas services. I had hoped that we could all go together as a family, but the boys decided they'd rather stay home. I was expecting quite a traditional Church of Scotland service... but, to my surprise (maybe I shouldn't be surprised!) it was a very Gospel-focused service and the minister not at all as I imagine a Reverend to be! He wanted us to particularly remember Immanuel - God Is With Us - and basically gave a Gospel message... wonderful to get things in focused.
I don't 'feel' particularly 'Christmassy' this year... maybe it's not having a proper tree up, or any decorations? In many ways, it's quite nice! But it's a strange feeling... I keep thinking I should be feeling different than I do, but I don't! Maybe the house move is consuming me too much... at any rate, I'm glad to not be feeling consumed by the 'season'... the kids haven't been so hyped up either. They have been ogling the presents under the tree, but otherwise generally quite calm about things. Funny, Bubbles has decided that she needs to leave cookies and milk out for Father Christmas tonight! She loves to tell others that he's not real (has probably dashed many kids' illusions!)... not sure why she's wanting to pretend this year... how's he supposed to get down a closed off chimney anyway? Ah well, I guess I'll have to have the 'spoils'!
Christmas morning... the kids managed to wait until 7am to open their stockings, and until 8am to open their main presents! I'm impressed! Everyone was happy with the gifts received, which is always a good sign! After some skirmishes with paper, t'was all over. Amazingly, the building of the Lego Ferris Wheel occupied both Bubbles & Spike for the entire day! They stayed in their Pjs ALL day! I'm sad we didn't get out a walk, but it was a pleasant day none-the-less and a very tasty, but simple meal... cooked by Stephen - thanks.
Boxing day was quiet too... Stephen & Bubbles went over to Dunfermline to visit a friend and came home with a McDonalds! Spike spent some time playing on the Wii; plenty of playing with the Lego Ferris Wheel; the cars had a party; and Bubbles decorated some Gingerbread people.

Scotland forever!

1 comment:

Barb said...

I just popped over to see what was going on over in Scotland. :)

I love to read about all the different places you visit.

Lego...the universal kids toy. We have a fairly new set of Legos here...the castle.

Have a great week.
Barb-Harmony Art Mom