Friday, December 12, 2008

The Outdoor Hour #3

For this challenge we were to include an entry in a nature journal if possible. So, we took our usual walk, which actually had to be a bit rushed this week, so we weren't out so long... we just walked around the 'green' near the house... not an awful lot of interest to see there, it really is just a big 'green' area! But we tried to look and listen all the same. We did marginally better with the being quiet bit ... but I think it was more because the kids have been somewhat 'out of sorts' this week and they just didn't want to chatter like normal! Before we went out, I primed them by saying that we would be recording a 'memory' of our walk in our journal a little later.... as it turned out, we never got round to it till the next day!

Bubbles was eager as ever to get started with her picture... please note that she has a colour deficiency in her eyes, so the colours she puts in her pictures are sometimes not quite right (of note, the wall... should be a sandstone colour, but the colour she has used is what she saw!). She drew musical notes to illustrate the sounds of lots of birds that she heard (we didn't *see* much nature), which I thought was a novel way of recording that 'memory'.


Spike does not like anything to do with writing or drawing! We had picked a handful of privet leaves, so I asked if he would like to do a rubbing of some of them, and he seemed really eager and did some beautiful rubbings all on his own - sometimes he really does surprise me!


I thought I'd best get in on the act... I really don't like drawing much... I see beautiful things in my head and *want* to put them on paper, but what comes from the pencil is never what is in my head, or even what is right before my eyes! So, I usually give up! Anyway, I've decided to try and stretch myself and take part in the journaling activities and maybe I'll improve! As ever, in a hurry, so haven't researched my findings properly.

1 comment:

Barb said...

I love that each journal is in your own particular "style". You are a great mom to give the freedom and the encouragement needed to give the journaling a try. Keep at it and you will feel more confident.

I think you did a lovely job!

Thanks for sharing your walk.
Barb-Harmony Art Mom