Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Snow!

snow           Listen to the pronunciation of 1snow
Pronunciation: \ˈsnō\
Function: noun
a: precipitation in the form of small white ice crystals formed directly from the water vapor of the air at a temperature of less than 32°F (0°C) b (1): a descent or shower of snow crystals (2): a mass of fallen snow crystals.

What a lovely way to start December... with a smattering of snow! Bubbles was beside herself with excitement, and declared "If I had to go out to school, I'd not have much time to play in the snow!"... it's always nice to hear when she's glad she's not at 'ordinary' school! She made the cutest wee snowman on Monday...
As you can probably see behind her, there wasn't a huge snow fall on Monday. Tuesday morning we woke to find the ground covered... beautiful white, about 3 inches deep, more in some places. There's something so peaceful about snow *I think*. Go out in it and I want to be quiet and move slowly - almost like it's possible to hear better when this blanket of white is covering the ground. Doesn't seem to have the same effect on the kids... they want to scream and shout and laugh and cry and giggle and run and fall over...!! Ah well, maybe serenity come with age! Here's some images of snow on Tuesday and Bubbles effort at a snowman, which looks more like a kind of duck... but she was pressed for time!

She spent absolutely ages playing around in the snow on her own... poor old Spike, he doesn't favour the snow too much - he like s the idea, but he gets cold and miserable too quickly.

It's been very cold during the day, keeping the snow in place. I was glad not to have to venture out in the car yesterday or today... I'd be fine once at the main roads, but the roads in the village have not been cleared, and I do not much fancy testing my driving skills on a slippery road. I have decided to turn the heating up a bit... I was trying to make us survive on just the radiator in the lounge, with the others coming on from time-to-time as the temperature dips (thermostats on the radiators)... but I've caved in, and turned on another radiator! We could manage fine during the day but come bed time the kids are feeling cold, and my hands have been getting so cold I could hardly type; and we've not been wanting to get out of bed in the morning :o) I've also got chilblains... never had them before in my life... definitely going soft!

Tuesday night brought more now to cover over all the footprints outside... it's been a glorious day - bright blue sky and white everywhere. I wonder how long the cold snap is going to last. We took a lovely walk today... got a bit cold (should have put 2 pairs of socks on, and brought extra gloves) but it was lovely. Here's some pics...

I like this one - can you see our 3 sets of footprints?

Me & Bubbles, by Spike

Me & Spike, by Bubbles

My feet disappeared!

Ah... snow on the hills...

I think snow is amazing! In 1925 Wilson A Bentley (aka "Snowflake Bentley") said this:

"Under the microscope, I found that snowflakes were miracles of beauty; and it seemed a shame that this beauty should not be seen and appreciated by others. Every crystal was a masterpiece of design and no one design was ever repeated., When a snowflake melted, that design was forever lost. Just that much beauty was gone, without leaving any record behind."


He took photos of snowflakes... and they are the most amazing things to look at! You can view some of them here and just click the image to enlarge. What an amazing God we have!

No comments: