Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Can we start school now?

This is a never-heard comment in our house! It's not for lack of trying all kinds of different ways to do table time... or all different kinds of resources (I'm a sucker for having a wide variety of books and resources on offer, many of which will probably never be used)... and I'm pretty easy-going with them with regards to 'work'! It's not even that they are absorbed in play and don't want to miss time doing that, as they frequently come and tell me they are bored and ask if I've something they can do - 'certainly darling, the outside of the front door needs scrubbed, the skirting boards needed freshened up, and the drive needs swept' usually has them zipping off to entertain themselves! Don't know what it is... but, hey! we are having a break-through this week... the Workstations seem to be going a treat (let it be noted *thus far*!) and it's all resources we've used before... I don't know what makes it different! It takes Bubbles about an hour to navigate her way through the rooms, thorough as she is... and Spike about 40 minutes at his break-neck speed, that he seems to conduct most of life at. But it's working... Charlotte Mason is right about the short lessons, it does keep them interested, and they can actually learn a lot in 10 minute bursts... I have known this before, and do keep lessons short, but I think the fact they are moving around the rooms is keeping the interest up, instead of staying in the same place.

No comments: