Wednesday, November 26, 2008

How to be happy

We are reading a book called 'More Little Visits With God' (by Allan Hart Jahsmann & Martin P. Simon) at breakfast at the moment. I loved the little story this morning, based around Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart". This is how it started...

"I never get what I want," said Henry.
"I know how to change that," said his brother George. "Start wanting what you get!"

Gets you thinking that, doesn't it? We learn to like all kinds of things - I didn't use to like olives or avocados, but I do now; there was a time when I didn't know what Chinese food looked or tasted like, but I tried it and like it; I'm not awfully good in groups of people, so I've learnt to like time on my own... all sorts of things we learn to like over time. So, why not learn to like what God likes? That way we can be satisfied and happy, because we will have the desires of our heart.

No comments: