Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Ponderings

I am definitely like Martha - "worried and bothered about so many things" (Luke 10:41). I was pondering on this while driving today, how I often worry about things in tomorrow, and how it really saps me of today's energy - what a futile exercise! "So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of it's own" (Matthew 6:34). I'm glad the Lord "knows our frame; He is mindful that we are but dust" (Psalm 103:14). I'm glad He foresaw that I would be inclined to worry, and wrote His instruction not to do so, very plainly for me to see! I must continually seek to live in today - it doesn't come naturally to me.

I was also thinking on the saying "Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery; and Today is a gift, that's why it is called the Present". I think it helps me to remember this, sums life up well.

This led me on to thinking (I do a lot of this when driving!) of the fragility of life - what if we waste today worrying about tomorrow, and tomorrow never comes? It was not long after considering this that I heard that a good friend had unexpectedly had a major heart attack and the outlook is not good... and it made my ponderings all the more poignant.

I'm glad I don't know the future. I know I have made many mistakes in the past. I don't want to continue wasting the present, rather to "Seek first His Kingdom and His righteousness".

No comments: