
Barren trees, but still beautiful.
We decided to spray paint the branches we collected last week - I had a can of gold spray, so armed with that and a paper we spread the branches out in the shed and set to... me spraying and keeping the sleeve of
my jacket tight to my nose and coming up for air occasionally... Bubbles s
tanding nearby sniffing and saying "WHY are you covering your nose? *I* can't smell anything...". Unfortunately she has trouble smelling through her nose... I could smell the spray even through my jacket - sharp exit into the fresh air once job accomplished. We left them a day to dry, then brought them in. Having no other suitable product handy to put them in, we opted for the Christmas tree
stand from last year, and improvis
ed. The finished product is actually quite nice... Bubbles hung on some straw decorations - we didn't make them ourselves, though I'm sure we could have. The colour scheme is a bit strange, but there we go. She then deci
ded to play with some of her Sylvanians under and in the 'tree'... I think she had fun!
So, the idea had been to use the branches as a 'Thankful Tree' - to hang on notes of things we are thankful for (I keep meaning to do Harvest Festival with the kids each year, but none of the churches I've gone to lately seem to do this, so I forget when it is... but I would like to do it). BUT, it hasn't worked out that way... SO, it is going to be our Jesse Tree and our 'alternative' Christmas tree this year.
I stumbled (nearly literally, it gave me quite a shock!) over a wee d
ead mouse whilst topping up the bird feeders one morning in the week. Bubbles has been faithfully giving the little dead creature
s we find a wonderful burial! This promptly received one too! She didn't do a procession or sing a hymn this time though - I think it was too cold, and she was only in her pjs! No doubt it will be dug up in due course, in order to examine its bones.
We said farewell to the 6 Bobs this week... it's pretty hard to name fish I think... and 'Bob' just kind of suited them all! We freecycled them, because we can't really take them with us if we're staying with friends in between houses. I like freecycle... I've managed to pass on quite a few things this way - though I've never been quick enough to grab a bargain for myself!
The
primulas in the garden are looking quite jolly in the cold. And the carnations in the house are still looking fresh (thanks for those Mum & Dad!). The last of the leaves have decended from the oak tree at the
bott
om of the garden, so I thought it a safe bet to rake them up again... once again, 4 of these big piles.. but it does actually look like I have cleared some of the grass this time, yay! The frost hasn't lifted from the back garden at all today, the sun barely reaching it... that's the trouble with a north-facing garden in winter!
Spike had his hair cut today... I suggested he didn't have a number 1 or 2 because the weather is colder, so he opted for a number 4 - it still looks very short! It should last him now until after we've moved.

(look! empty chore chart! I'm very proud of that this week!)
Mum and Dad retire today - yay, Happy Retirement!

Wonderful to see the new life there already, waiting to burst forth, despite the barrenness of the tree.
No comments:
Post a Comment